Monday, June 15, 2009

Sunday on the blog

Okay, so Sunday ended 3.75 hrs ago, but since I am here (insert tired laugh here--a family emergency for the person on call has necessitated [is that a word? it is 3 am after all] me be on call tonight even though I was here a l l day and oh yeah will be here a l l the rest of today . . .) I thought I would share from this month's home teaching lesson--which I did read before they came, but ours our so wonderful and did a great job sharing it with the kiddos. Anywho--here you go (don't you love Elder Uchtdorf?)

Lift
In order to get an airplane off the ground, you must create lift. In aerodynamics, lift happens when air passes over the wings of an airplane in such a way that the pressure underneath the wing is greater than the pressure above the wing. When the upward lift exceeds the downward pull of gravity, the plane rises from the ground and achieves flight.
In a similar way, we can create lift in our spiritual life. When the force that is pushing us heavenward is greater than the temptations and distress that drag us downward, we can ascend and soar into the realm of the Spirit.

Dictionaries describe lift as carrying or directing from a lower to a higher position; the power or force available for raising to a new level or altitude; a force acting in an upward direction, opposing the pull of gravity.1
The Psalmist sets the goals even higher: “Unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul” (Psalm 25:1) and “I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord” (Psalm 121:1–2).
We lift our eyes toward the God of heaven by cultivating our own personal spirituality. We do it by living in harmony with the Father; the Son, our Savior; and the Holy Ghost. We do it by striving to be truly “submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon [us], even as a child doth submit to his father” (Mosiah 3:19).

P.S. Reservations are available for the Oquirrh mountain temple open house (Daybreak).

3 comments:

Sal-my-gal said...

I can't imagine how tired you must be! I hope you get a nice long shift snuggled up in bed soon.

Scott and Jillian said...

I love Sundays on the blog, even if I don't always read them the same days they are posted. Oh, and I'm back online. Yea!

Tara said...

Oh, man! You should have told them to call me! I'm closer and I didn't have to be to work the next day :P