Thursday, July 2, 2009

Good thing I bought a new memory card . . .

Holy lots of pictures Batman! I went to WalMart at 4 am Tuesday (on the way home from work) to get a new photo card because I knew I was going to need it and I was right! Maybe the 1200 remaining photos were just taunting me or maybe it is just feast of famine with pics. Either way, here's a bunch. First a good reason why I am blogging--this is what I have to look at: That is exactly what is sitting in front of me. My lab. In shambles. We are remodeling, such a tortuous process which may or may not have a happy ending. Either way, these pics are way more fun to look at.

Wednesday began with a trip to the zoo with Dylan! Oh how the boys have loved Dylan, he will be sorely missed. They let him go this morning pretty easily but I am waiting for tomorrow when they run downstairs looking for him only to return disappointed to just have silly old mom. Luckily my bro and sis are coming to watch the boys while Lowell and I attend my cousin's wedding, so they will have a highlight to their day. Anyway . . .

The two Big Ds, Davis and Dylan on the train (yes it was the first truly hot day this year and we were already roasting)


Davis climbed up on these rocks and posed, how could I pass that up?

The obligatory carousel ride. How is it that we spend as much time riding the rides as actually seeing the animals at the zoo? Also is my pass really saving me any money if I still need ride tickets and ice cream cones? Questions for the ages. It was fun though, if hot. The ice cream melted all over us also, sticky, hot, fun.
After dropping the kiddos off I raced up to Salt Lake (trip 2) to see my BFF Kristina at the airport. Her family had a layover on their way from Denver to Washington and this meant I got to see her and her ever so adorable boys (3 of them!). Thanks Kris for meeting up with us, it was fun to see you guys, I hope we do so again soon.
Once home again we were already late to go to the Oquirrh Mountain temple open house. Luckily tardiness is not such a sin in mormondom. Lowell's fam and mine all went, such fun. Even though we got separated and somehow ended up with all the kids in one group (so much for the, "Here, you hold my heavy child for the next flight of stairs") but of course it was still worthwhile. How could anything be more beautiful than the temple? I have seen many of the amazing sights of the world and yet I feel the temples surpass them all. Oquirrh Mountain is tall and thin, thus all the stairs. I think discounting the stairs it seemed similar in size to the Draper temple, but Lowell says it was bigger. Carter said, "I want to see My Jesus' temple" and Davis was enthralled by the baptismal font. He was asking to go swimming, so I explained to him that it is a font and he'll be able to be baptized by his Dad in one when he is 8 and come to the temple to do baptisms when he is bigger. So yesterday he climbed up on a chair and said, "See Mom, I'm big--can I go to the 'pont' (font) now?" I know Lowell gets hung up on the difficulty of keeping 2 rambunctious 3 year olds quiet and careful walking through the temple, but I think they pick up a little bit here and there and this is an opportunity they will not have very often. They are so excited every time we see a temple now and like to talk about our forever family. That makes it all worth it.
Speaking of our Forever Family . . .

Plus Becky, we love you--photo by Dylan (don't hate me for putting this on here Beck, you are just SO cute!)

Dilly and the boys, such good buddies and the only grandsons
Home again Lowell and his fam went to dinner and I stayed home to put the bubs down and crash myself. I got a taste of having 3 kids as all 3 boys piled in the tub. It was funny to go down the line washing 3 little heads of hair.
Wednesday brought with it a distinctly more somber affair, Sadie's funeral. It was a beautiful service, very upbeat focusing on what Sadie had shared with the world, what was learned from her, her favorite things, lots of beautiful music, and a focus of forever families. Both parents even spoke which was impressive to me that they could keep it together. No matter how upbeat the messages, the reality of it being a funeral for a 6 year old still hit everyone hard. I was sobbing for the majority of it and Lowell broke down as her mom quoted "I'll Love you Forever". Hillary Weeks came and sang which was a lovely gesture to me and another of her songs was read (she was a favorite of Sadie's and this song was sung by Hillary the day before Sadie passed):
It seems like I've watched a million sunsets
And stared at a thousand full moons
Sometimes it feels like I've been here forever
And sometimes it all feels brand new
But if there were no more tomorrows
If I knew that I could not stay
I know how I'd spend every moment
If only I had today
I'd hold you and listen
And I'd let the dishes sit in the sink
I'd tell you I loved you over and over
And for once I'd just let the phone ring
Then I'd remind you of forever
And how our love would never change
If only I had today
There's no time like the present
Life doesn't come with any guarantees
The sun will set and time won't wait
So while I have today
I'll hold you and listen
I'll let the dishes sit in the sink
I'll tell you I love you over and over
For once I'll just let the phone ring
And I'll remind you of forever
And how our love will never change
Because I have today
(words from song, "If I only had today"-Hillary Weeks)
How can that song not make you reflect (and in the context it was read, bawl your eyes out)? I have followed too many stories like Sadie's, unfortunately as so many have had the same end. It is a horrible thing, childhood cancer, but I try to remember God has a plan, one that does not make sense to us a lot of times, but He knows what he is doing. The one upside to following these stories is I hug my little boys tighter every day. I try to be actively playing with them as much as I can, to stay up late rocking them and letting them talk, because you never know what time you will have. I would rather look back and regret spoiling them, letting them get away with too much, than discipling them too harshly or missing time with them. So my kids are spoiled . . .and I am not apologetic.
The afternoon brought a delightful surprise Lowell's co-worker arranged for us . . .a trip to the firehouse! Thanks Mike, you are SO SO awesome, the boys will love you forever. Mike is Lowell's co-worker, but also a part time fireman for PG City and was willing to share his job with 3 lucky kiddos.

Davis in the fire truck

Carter too

Mike helping Davis spray the fire house

Daddy and Carter (who's having more fun?)

My Jr. Firemen (they even have badges that say so)

Davis wearing the gear (Mike's holding the hat, it was too heavy for their heads!)
Carter, those coats are SO big!

Carter in a firemask

Davis too

3 happy little boys

Checking out the ambulance, I told them they were never allowed back in one--Carter has already had one trip, when he was life-flighted as a newborn.
A sno cone later we were ready for a pizza party with Lowell's fam and farewell to Becky and Dylan. Here's what became of the kiddos and the toys downstairs:

A cousin band! And here's what they sounded like . . .be warned :)

We finished the night off with some early fireworks (since they aren't allowed in Texas where Dylan lives) . Here's a happy D, they love firebooms! It's safe to say that was a VERY full 2 days, yes that was just 2 days. I am tired! I hope you all have a wonderful Fourth of July, we love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1) I do hate you... J/K it's my fault I'm bulbous. 2) cute boys 3) thanks for hosting us and allowing us to infiltrate every crevice of your lives for the past two weeks; we had a lot of fun! :)