Friday, December 19, 2008

Oh the weather outside is frightful . . .

You know I am not going to run out of Christmas songs for titles, especially with only one week left until the big day. The drive in to work today was not pleasant. One of those moments when time stands still and you can replay it over and over. Like last summer when I watched a semi hit the overpass and the backhoe come tumbling off of it. I was the very next car. If you live in Utah county you know the overpass I am talking about because it is now gone--one too many hits by semis. Today driving to work I was on an icy road and watched the car in front of me skid and turn perpendicular blocking both lanes. The car coming the opposite direction skid to miss him and slid into the ditch. I tried to break and was just slip sliding away but was lucky enough to have enough to space to ease myself to a stop without hitting either car or sliding out. It's just little moments like those, and this one was likely not even life threatening, that leave you grateful to get out safely and still make it on to work. I can't say I care for it though. Early in the fall I planned for cold days and haven't had to use any of the goodies I got until this week--it has been so cold and wet. Yesterday our drive to the gym took 25 minutes (usually 15) and then the boys had stinky bums within 20 and we got to drive 25 minutes back, white knuckling all the way. Yep, I don't like driving in the snow. Here's hoping I get home okay (after a very early morning stop at WalMart for the last of my shopping, stocking and their fillings).

In better news, Lowell had a good day today. He has been promoted at work. It is the type of jump that is unusual in his profession but does not surprise me. He is very well liked and respected and his work has been getting a lot of attention. The promotion comes with a raise which is never a bad thing and a bit more respect as well as more people beneath him (read he can actually take a day off) so it is a very nice blessing for our family. I am proud of you hon, you certainly deserve it. Davis was so cute--we went and got him some pizza, Dr. Pepper, and an ice cream cake and when Lowell came home Davis was very proud to tell him, "Con grat u lations". He said it slow but just right and just beamed with pride.

No new pics today, I didn't bring my camera, but I do have some fun ones of the kids building towers out of "blocks", i.e. wrapped presents from under the tree, and sword fighting with empty wrapping paper rolls. Why did I buy them actual presents again? Anyway . . .the real reason for this post, a tag from Jess:

Christmas Tag
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? More paper than bags--takes longer to unwrap and the kids can't look right into them.

2. Real tree or Artificial? Artificial--I swore I would always do real but the price tag got the better of me.

3. When do you put up the tree? I start thinking about it Thanksgiving and get it up mid-December. Last year I think it was the week before Christmas.

4. When do you take the tree down the tree? After New Year's. I am a procrastinater getting it up but I do enjoy it and insist on keeping it around until the next year.

5. Do you like egg nog? NO! Ick, blech, ugh!

6. Favorite gift received as a child? My memory is really lacking but I know I got Cabbage Patch dolls and Care Bears that I loved and of course our trampoline.

7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yep, pics in the previous post plus a new resin one this year that the kids are allowed to touch.

8. Hardest person to buy for? My sisters, they want clothes but no chance of getting the right stuff. Or my mom.

9. Easiest person to buy for? The boys--they'll love everything and I could spend all my holiday money in a day just on them. I love buying them toys!

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail, they are all out today, hooray! I think this is the first year I will have them done before Christmas.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? as Lowell would say, that is a loaded question and I am not going to answer it. . .but something about a vacuum comes to mind . . .

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Tough one, I love a Christmas story but also the original grinch.

13. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I can't think of a time.

14. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Breakfast Pizza and a big fat glazed ham.

15. Clear lights or colored on the tree? I like colored, but ours are white.

16. Favorite Christmas song? This year, I'm getting nothing for Christmas.

17. Travel at Christmas or stay home? We stay home, meaning in Utah, but go to both in-laws.

18. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? Let's see, You know Dasher, and Dancer, and Prancer, and Vixen, Comet, and Cupid, and Donner, and Blitzen . . .then Rudolph. Is that all of them?

19. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? We do Christmas morning.

20. Most annoying thing about this time of year? That it drags on for months, the budget crunch and stress of planning, and stupid Christmas songs and books meant to garner emotion.

21. Favorite ornament theme or color? Kid, does that count as a theme? I like silver.

22. Favorite food for Christmas dinner? As previously mentioned, I love ham!

23. What do you want for Christmas this year? I am starting to get the scrooge in me like my dad so I am tempted to say his perennial answer, for it to be over. But I think I will stick with the new camera I picked up on Black Friday from Lowell to me. It'll be such a surprise! ;)



Well, there you go--anyone who wants to join in, tag you're it. I am sure I will be on again before the big day--I work Monday and Tuesday, but I do hope you are enjoying this lovely holiday season and that if the weather is where you are as it is here that you are inside where it is "so delightful". Loves!

No comments: