Friday, June 18, 2010

Goblin Valley

So, Sunday this week I gave in and wore a maternity outfit to work and I thought it made me look very much more pregnant than my very forgiving scrubs. Just for posterity's sake, here's me at 25 weeks: See the baby bump? She's in there I promise. The ginormous pregnant boobs should give it away! Anywho, this was just as we were packing up to head out to Goblin Valley. It was a fairly long drive, but better than Mapquest and GPS estimated it, yea for friends who gave me the inside scoop. We did still make a couple of wrong turns, but we made it there at last. Hillary was gracious enough to take the boys exploring while we unpacked camp. Here's the pics she got:

Love it!

An amazing rainbow from our camp
Lowell is getting really good at setting up camp, he's so fast. So, we ate dinner with my parents (they and Hillary joined us) and then Lowell, the bubs and I went for a little climb up the cliffs behind our campsite.
Here's my boys at the top. Then out of the blue it just starts pouring rain. We're scrambling trying to find the fastest way down and I opt for the less steep option as it is getting really slippery really fast. I start to worry a little as I have no idea where this little hike will take us and if we can get there safely, but we did okay. We slid around a bunch and Lowell had to help us all cross a few areas but it put us out on the road to our camp again and we headed back wet and muddy, but laughing.

The boys thought it was a great idea to "wash off" in the streams that were formed by the sudden rain.
It didn't work, but they sure had fun! And why not--they couldn't get much dirtier than they already were. And lucky for us the camp had showers. Oh my goodness, I can't imagine what the night would have been like if not! It was pretty tricky still, Lowell ended up stripping down and joining them in order to get them clean and I was trying to get them dry and dressed (with only 1 towel) while the muddy water swirled around the little room beyond the shower. Then their shoes were still super dirty so we carried them back to camp and made them sit until bedtime. We just had s'mores after that and headed to bed (it was already past 10). One funny thing, Lowell told the boys (or maybe it was my dad) that the goblins came alive after dark and would come and get little boys who were not being quiet. It worked so well--they were very quiet and calm in our little tent. They went to sleep the fastest of any of our trips and they slept pretty well too. Unfortunately one of our air mattresses got a hole and Lowell was kind enough to sleep on that one, but it left him with a sore back. I on the other hand, slept amazingly well. Except for waking up a couple of times needing to use the bathroom, but not wanting to hike over or wake everyone up. I did make it past dawn and everyone woke up just a little later. We had a nice breakfast and got ready to go hiking. I think it was at this point that Davis did some more climbing and Lowell snook up on him and made some "goblin" sounds scaring him. Poor kiddo was just crying away when Lowell came to "save" him and remind him that he had to stay with us to be safe.

Hillary and Davis getting ready to hike Carmel canyon. The rest of the morning Davis was really timid, speaking quietly and holding someone's hand to make sure he stayed with us! Silly boy. Once we got to the actual goblins I told him they were sleeping, so he went around hitting them all in the head and throwing rocks at them. I love their imaginations.

My dad. So we all headed out on this crazy hike, but my mom and dad turned back pretty quick because my mom didn't think she could handle it. It was weird because the trail was hard to follow after all the rain. We jumped around following a couple of signs and piles of rocks. It was very muddy and quite interesting really. I enjoyed it and the boys did very good staying on the trail. They are really focused when hiking and just happy to be doing it. So my kids! Eventually it became a little slot canyon with lots of cool hiking:

and climbing and a little bit of getting muddy. I thought it was super cool. We thought the trail would lead us into the Valley of the Goblins, but it just spit us out on the main road. I didn't know there was a very short trail down to the valley, but I am still glad we did the longer hike because it was so cool.

Lowell with the goblins. The big valley was something else. Really unworldly, but easy to hike around and enjoy and the boys could easily do a lot of climbing. They were really very happy there.

It started to get a little warm but didn't even get to 80 while we were there. We were really lucky. We headed back and finished packing up camp (yep, quick trip) and after a side trip to check out Little Wild Horse Canyon (the road had washed out and it looked really busy, so we just went on our way) we headed home. The boys slept a fair amount of the time but were really well behaved even when awake. Good times!
Tuesday we finally were able to let our butterflies go--weather had been holding us up.

Butterflies all grown up and ready to go

Davis, he has one of his thumb

Carter, it was hard to catch a pic of these little guys, they were off so fast.

Except for one little guy. Out of 5, there was 1 who just wasn't well. He was listless and didn't fly at all. I think maybe he had already reached the end of his life cycle, the info we had said 1-2 weeks and it had been 8 days. We watched him for a while and after me pestering the kids over and over again to not touch him and just leave him alone (and after he did get to spend an hour alive and in the sun outside) they brought him to me dead. They gave him a "proper burial" and Davis announced to me that he had gone to live with Jesus. Glad they took it so well, I think I was more sad.
We then went to the movies, Veggie Tales, the Pirates who Don't Do Anything. The boys haven't ever seen Veggie Tales and they liked it fairly well. It wasn't as religious as I thought those shows were, and just okay for an adult to sit through.
Wednesday we went to the gym. Then I took a long nap (thanks honey) and got up in time to go to Mom's night out with the twin club at Zupa's and Red Mango. What a lovely time I had chatting chatting chatting for hours. I was thrilled to see some gals that I hadn't in a while and just vent about life's stresses, and of course eat. How I love my UVMOM gals.
Thursday I got to see them again, yea! For our weekly park play date and awesomely, lots of people came including some of the boys best friends, A&A. Quite the party, we were there 2 hours.
Then today we had plans to go to the Children's Gardens with some friends from our ward but after shopping all over this morning, they just weren't interested (until it was too late to go, then they apologized and begged to go. Sorry kiddos!). I did get to use up some great coupons I had though, thanks Hillary for coming so I didn't have to take 2 little boys in 4 different stores.

I ended up with these 4 sets, retail $80 (no, of course I wouldn't pay that, but outlet price was still $30), after coupons I paid, $6. Woot! We're slowly building up the girly stuff. Mostly newborn and 3-6 mos now, since I am not sure how quickly she will grow and which season she'll need my 6-9. I need to take an inventory of what I have as well and figure out how much I need for just 1 baby. We also picked up some Father's Day goodies for my dad and Lowell and the boys were very excited he got Super Mario Galaxy 2.
So, there's our week again. Tomorrow we're heading to Redmond, UT for Lowell's family reunion, then dinner with my fam for my brother's b-day and because my grandparents are in town visiting. Then Sunday we'll be making the rounds for Father's Day as well. So much to do in the summer time! And next week may even be warm. We start T-ball next week as well, so so much to do. I love it!

1 comment: said...

Congrats! I didnt know you were pregnant till now. That is so exciting. and so fun that you will have a little girl. You wont know what to do with yourself after having twin boys. You'll love just having one and a girl. So different and so fun! You guys are brave to do camping and hiking. Havent done that with my crew yet.