Thursday, August 4, 2011

Catch up . . .

Is it still called catch up if it has become the norm?? Anyway--much more to share, document. Let's jump in. Friday 2 weeks ago we joined the twin club at the Highland Splash Pad for some fun--hot day, cool water, good friends.

And a little smooching. We joke about Claire baby and her boyfriends J&J and while there she just reached over and gave J an open mouth baby kiss. He doesn't look so sure about it.
Claire's got to work it with 2 cutie boys around!

Afterward we met up with Whitney and her kiddos at Classic fun center to try out their water slides. Got a lot of sun watching them, but they had a blast.

Friday night I caught a girl's night out with neighbor friends to watch Twilight. They are working through the movies in preparation for Breaking Dawn. It was So Much Fun! Really fantastic food, mexican was the theme, I brought fried ice cream and it was a hit thanks to Lowell for assembling it all while we were running about. We sat and ate and chatted and then chatted Twilight, how much happier could I be?

Saturday was the annual foam day at our nearby park. Our local fire department fills the park with fire retardent foam and the kids go crazy. And get lost, yet again this year we lost a child--luckily a friend had grabbed him as I walked up, joining them there from work (thanks to Tara for covering for me!). Something about that many people and them all covered in foam makes it hard to keep track of your little one.

And they had free watermelon, so we grabbed some on the way out. Claire went nuts on hers!

That afternoon/evening we had a family get together in honor of Pioneer Day (24th of July).
We did some slip and sliding, jumping, swimming, eating, BBQing, and fireworks.

The clan after firebooms. We have a few BYU fans in the mix . . .

Tuesday we had the only day camp that did not work for the kiddos this year. Considering all the activities we did, I'd call that a success. I am disappointed it didn't go better, especially since their friends were there with them and I sat up that night worrying about the whole thing, but I was able to cancel and get a refund, so trying to let it go. There was some concern over their undressing themselves (in a bathroom) too readily when getting ready to swim and a big issue that they kept taking their shoes off. At a park. I took issue with the fact that they didn't put sunscreen on my kiddos though I sent some and they were going in the pool (and they did get a bit red) and it seemed a bit disorganized, hectic. And honestly it was the longest my kids had ever been away from me except with family and I wasn't terribly comfortable with that and my instincts were right.

That night we took an overnight staycation to Snowbird. Yes, I am a little obsessed, I love it there.

Hotel antics
Going to the playground

Drinking hot cocoa on the balcony after some late night swimming

Yes, it gorgeous there!
Bungee trampoline (our package including breakfast and unlimited activities, and I got a steal on it thank you very much)
Air trampoline, look how high that kid is!

Sleepy baby
Alpine slides

On top of Hidden Peak (11,000 ft)

Davis really liked his "rock collection"

And rock climbing

Yeah, they crashed pretty much as soon as we started the car. Helps that none of us slept very well, it was a nice room, I don't know what the issue was.
So in place of the second half of their camp, we went and had some fun of our own (for half the price by the way!). We checked out Trilobite Treasures at Thanksgiving Point and it was so much cooler than I thought it would be. Somehow I thought it would be a big sand box and you'd dig for a fossil and maybe find one. Nope, splitting open real rocks and we found lots of them. The workers were very helpful and knowlegeable and I couldn't get enough. It was so exciting to split a rock and see what we found.
A portion of our trilobites.
Then we went to the closing party for our library class (a free event that was what the camp was taking the kids to, and watching a movie--we had way more fun). There was a magician and ice cream. We picked up slushies on the way home too, good times.

Friday I was just tired (and it was pouring). So we stayed home and did this:

Oh and went to lunch with a play place (and googly eyes).

So Saturday was our big long awaited rafting trip. I got a great deal on City Deals and 6 and under were free so I jumped on it and talked most of my family into coming along. And it was so worth it. Really, just a blast! Not sure if this link will work for you all:

If not, go to the events, Taggart Falls July 30th, 3:30-4, we are pics 34-47. And here's a pic I shot at the end. The boys did really well, not bored or unsafe. And we got a work out paddling and all. The guide was fantastic and the river leisurely but fun (Weber). Definitely be going again next year.

That evening we went camping as a nearly whole family.

Boys throwing rocks

Eating dinner. Unfortunately that did not go as well as rafting. There was a lot of issues with those there and my boys. It's a shame because it has been the catalyst of some real changes in how we'll do thing with the fam. Focusing on what is best for the kids.
A full tent. Claire did not do well. I was disappointed because she did well in the same pack and play at Snowbird. I was awake a lot of the night with her. And it had been a really long week at work so I was really tired to begin with.
Out hiking in the morning (hence the PJs) trying to keep the kids from waking others up.
Told you she didn't sleep well.
Playing bean bag toss with the cousins
A little chipmunk friend we made with our trail mix.

Monday we joined Whit's kiddos again at Classic only to be met with an extreme downpour. I was soaked to the bone going in and out. Drenched. So, water sliding was out, but they had fun in the blast zone and bounce houses anyway. Until Claire decided to have a blow out that somehow got all over my shirt. So fun to be a mom . . .

She's sure cute when she sleeps though, she really just go, go, gos until she falls over (with new best friend Daddles, the boys' fav as well. Which works out since I have 4 of them [1 for each and 1 back up]).
She has been such a busy bee of a baby, chatting away and into everything. We love it though.

The rest of that week I don't have a lot of pictures of--we started swim lessons for this year (preschool level 3) which has been every day so has kept us busy. Tuesday we played at the park with the twin club. Thursday was our last cooking class--not their best behavior but the brownies and tacos were good. Will have to discuss with them next year if they want to do the classes again--would recommend for kids that like to cook. Wednesday our UVMOM family party was cancelled due to rain (boo!) but I got to redeem one of my deals for Pirate Island. The kids had a blast, really lots of fun. The food was not great. Stuck with pizza this time since it was what we prefered the previous time and yeah, most of it is still in my fridge waiting to be thrown out. Good thing I got it half off at least. And Friday Lowell wanted to treat the boys to some fun and took them (with their free pass from the library class) to Nickel City. Grandma and Dinda kept baby sis so we could have one on one time and it was also so so much fun. Lowell scored really big with some tickets (I did okay too--and the kids . . .) so they got above average prizes that were still lame but the kids were thrilled.

Stay tuned for more soon including Clire's first steps! more camping, and a family reunion in Idaho.

Claire and the watermelon

Slip and Slide Fun

No comments: