Thursday, July 7, 2011

Summer has arrived (and is passing too quickly!)

I seriously did back to school shopping today. That is both scary and uncool. Well the deals were cool or I wouldn't have been doing the shopping, but how can school be looming on the horizon already? It seems like I was just plotting out the summer, calculating what activities would be best and how to occupy the munchkins and now their first activity is already over. There is still LOTS of stuff coming up, but I just can't believe how quickly it is passing by and how soon my teeny baby boys will be kindergarteners. Sigh. Not going to think about it.
The heat has arrived, shortly after my last post the heat really turned on and it started to feel like summer. That's part of why it is going so fast I think, the first part didn't feel like summer yet. And some of our hikes are still blocked by snow/mud. Stop stalling my summer mother nature. Oh and please let the "monsoons" pass--I had all the humidity I wanted in Florida, I want my dry heat back.
Anyway, it has been a busy few weeks since I last wrote. I have been such a blog slacker lately, I find myself sitting at my desk at work putting off both exercising and blogging. And yet I walked the track 5-6 days since I last wrote, so even exercising it winning out. Lame, I really want to keep this for a great journal since my memory is mush, so I need to get back on the ball. The last few weeks the boys have had a reading class on Mondays and Wednesdays, art day camp Tuesdays and Thursdays, library class on Wednesdays, cooking class every other Thurs, plus some park play groups, some play dates, and trips to the gym. Oh, and good old fashion playing in the backyard. Reading class has been okay, they aren't fighting me on it as much I thought they would, so they must be making it fun for them. And I see some skills improving. And it's free, I would never complain. While they are there I like to jump in the library and swap out more books. Can you believe I have never picked up kids books at the library?! We love books, but I have just bought them all. It's been fun to try out new authors without the price tag. We've enjoyed the How do Dinosaurs . . .books and a Splat the cat and Froggy book. And more Dr. Seuss and Curious George, fantastic classics. Art camp was so much fun, there are a number of pics of their creations. What a sweet teacher to spend the time with them doing so much fun stuff. It ended today and I am bummed already. Library class they bark about every week but like it once they get there. And extra bonus they get to spin a wheel for being read to (yea for the library books) and win treats and prizes. Great way to encourage a love of reading (I even enjoy the books they are read. The theme is One World, Many stories and we have learned about lots of countries and sang songs and made crafts--I love it). Cooking class wasn't great the first time we actually made it there. They like to cook, but they also like to screw around. And play groups with the twin club have been fun, they have enjoyed each time we have gone. Play dates have been super fun too, mostly with my cousin and her kiddos. And the gym, it is the most skipped activity on my summer schedule (except for 7 peaks, we need to go back but I don't want to juggle 3 kids alone so we haven't yet) but we did go (to the gym) today. I hate dropping Claire off, I'll admit it and I have been exercising so much outside that I am dragging my feet for the inside work outs. But I pay a lot of money (won't be renewing) for the membership so I push myself to use it. There's the summary, here's the pics:



Goofing off in the backyard, they were so pleased with themselves that they climbed up there.






How twins play basketball


Father's Day was fun at our house. Lowell got his traditional photo tie (I love artscow!) and a new wii game plus some treats made at art camp from the bubbas. I made a great breakfast (if I say so myself) of crepes with fresh fruit and eggs with ham. I brought some up to my dad as well. Then we had a great steak dinner at home. We have almost finished up the steak we got from a 1/6th of a cow, which is seriously depressing because it has been so good.



I was washing Nutrigrain bar out of Claire's hair the other day and it was curling, so I grabbed some gel and hair spray and this was the result:








Maybe she'll have a little curl? My mom has curly hair and my sister/brother (when he had hair) so I am hopeful. I just think it would be fun. Not tight curls but maybe long ringlets. One can hope. I am mostly excited just to have more hair finally. Claire is sporting a pony most days now and I even did pigtails for the 4th. She hates me messing with it by the way but I have been told you have to train them to get used to it if they'll ever tolerate their hair being done.






An art class creation, they made bandanas and clown pants out of old jeans, their teacher did the face painting. I absolutely adored it!










They made wanted posters that day too, a whole wild west theme.





Proof I am a bad mommy, here is my 9 month old sweetie, chowing down on Cheetos. She got a hold of some on a plate and went nuts on them. She was clapping them together and squealing and yelling if she didn't get another. I haven't bought more since, but I wanted to record her obsession with Cheetos for posterity.



The alpine loop finally opened so we went for a drive up to Cascade Springs. Such a lovely easy walk. And with a little soda bribe, I even got some great shots of the bubs. Sister would not be bribed.














My fav of the bunch.






The pool is up and running. I have only been in once and it was freezing! But I have been told it is very nice now so I'll have to try it out again sometime. Claire was pretty unsure at first, especially because it was so cold, but she was having fun by the end. The boys are just in and out of it non-stop. I love that I asked them not to get their clothes wet (i.e. don't get in the pool) so I look over and they are just swimming naked. Ahh to be 5.





We have a tradition of driving to Evanston, WY to get firebooms. I have never made the trip with Lowell and the kids but this year I was off so I went along. And this year we were actually buying fireworks that are indeed legal here now but they were still cheaper there with a much better selection, especially of kid novelty fireworks. We got the kids a Redbox and had a nice chat enjoying a lovely view while we drove. After acquiring said firepower we went for a walk along the very high rushing Bear River:





Then checked out the McDonald's and its Play Place, one of the coolest I have seen--those are saddles the kids sit on while they are eating, the play house was a big cabin, and there was a TV on the wall in the bathroom. We also got Lowell's fav, Wally burgers.



My little missy is 9 months old now and changing so quickly. She really is just coming to life. Crawling has changed her perspective of the world and she is all over the place. 6 teeth have changed the way her face looks too, seriously she's a whole other baby all of a sudden. My newborn is long gone. She is 50th percentile for weight and 85th for height. She's about to grow out of her infant car seat due to height. The boys moved out of theirs at 15 months even though they had not quite made the height or weight limits. Such an odd child I tell you! Developmentally she is doing great, right at or above age level. She jabbers all the time and the other day I swear she said Mama and knew what she was saying. I was walking away and she was crying and crawling after me calling, "Mama". Broke my heart, I was off to work at the time. She has been fighting sleep a lot lately which is annoying, but she's fairly pleasant most of the time otherwise. Crawling has really made her happier, she loves to explore and get where she wants to be, which is generally at my feet waiting to be picked up. She loves the dogs and the kitty (who has moved on, I miss him! I knew he was a temporary friend and I am glad he found a better home with some of our friends, but I do miss the mischievous thing) and her brothers. She doesn't care much for strangers, her carseat, being put down, or sleeping. And she loves to eat--pretty much everything. She'll still let us spoon feed her but she will eat most of what we are eating at each meal too. And she is nursing well still, I am trying to keep my milk up--2.5 months to go (at least!). I do enjoy that time we have even if she is pinching, kicking me most of the time. She still looks at me with the, "I love you Mommy, thanks for making my milk" eyes and it is all worth it. Speaking of, off to pump--I won't miss that in a few months.



K, success--I am going to make my quota today, i.e. as much milk as the baby is drinking. Luckily I still have milk in the freezer to cover the days I don't make it, but I am power pumping and taking fenugreek to make that stash last until 1 year. Who knew it would be harder to make enough milk for 1 baby than it was for 2? Anyway, here is that gorgeous baby, I think she is the cutest at 9 months as she's ever been. 6 months was my favorite for the boys, I think 9 months is for Claire (so far!).














She learned to crawl this way with skirts/dresses, she does hands and knees, or hands and 1 knee, 1 foot too.







Yep, the boys love swimming:





And snuggling up after, thanks J&B for our snuggly blankies. Spoiled boys had a good day that day, I brought them lunch on the couch and they chowed watching Spongebob. I wonder if I could trade lives with them for a day?




4th of July crafts from art camp



We hiked to Grotto falls with the twin club, that was fun. I did 3 kids hiking by myself too, go me. Well, I was there with several friends and we all looked after each other's kids but you know what I mean. Claire did great in the backpack--she is not asleep in the shot below, but was later.




















Twin kiddos, the boys really did have a great time with these friends. The darling older set of girls the boys decided they are going to marry. Carter chatted about it all the way home, and how C was going to sleep in the room next to his and have a Tinker Bell room while he would have a Star Wars the Clone Wars room. Such a funny boy. Of course on the 4th they married their cousins, so not sure how much of a committed relationship it was! Who knew 5 year olds would be so girl crazy!






4th of July official photos:





I am in love with the boots--they are for going to the rodeo, but I thought they could do double duty. :)




Love her eyes, even if I still can't decide their color. They are brownish in the middle and bluish on the outside. Hazel maybe?




Handsome Carter, with decidedly brown eyes, they both have warm brown eyes and I love them even if my genes have played such a small role with them--I think I get ears, eye shape, and toes.




Davis




They are in to saluting lately, I don't know why, but cute shot.




All my loves--not an easy shot to get, but I'll take it!




4th of July desserts for Saturday. We had a whole celebration on the Saturday before the 4th with my family and then again on Monday the 4th with Lowell's fam. The kids thoroughly enjoyed the fireworks (Claire was already in bed) and the traditional popsicles. It was fun to legally set off aerials and to see so many from our view point. They were going all around us, it was quite the show. The dogs were inside freaking out unfortunately, July is hard for Max and Oscar.




So, that is as far as I have uploaded pics so far, more to come! Until then, here is some Claire, just being her cute self--I was trying to catch her stealing watermelon out of the bowl as I cut it, but I liked what I got anyway.




No comments: